Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Can't Just Give Things Away

Okay, I'm going to bitch because I just can't take it anymore. I'm not Miss Manners, but things have gotten so bad that I find myself telling people off for outrageous behavior. Is it too much to ask for people to use common sense. Then again, who was it that said Common Sense ain't so common.

I am one of those people who can never throw things out because one day there may be a use for it. Being a nature girl, I'm a strong believer in the reuse method of recycling. So, can you imagine how happy I was when i discovered Freecycle. A chance for me to get rid of things i no longer need while doing something good for somebody else. Awsome, right.

In theory, yes. In reality, you find out just how many stupid, ungrateful people really are out there. For instance, I offered a 32" free TV and posted a Must be Picked Up By dated... First you get the people who don't understand the word free. That means, I am not a sales person. That means, if you want it pick it up, not that you get to shop around and go for the best deal. I've gotten people questioning the size of the TV, why I want to give it away, will I send them a picture, how is the picture quality?

Let me reiterate. FREE means FREE. Did you never learn the saying "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". That originated because if somebody is willing to give you a horse, don't start looking for something wrong with it. Be grateful you got something for nothing and move on.

So, you think I would learn. I guess not and I should put myself on the stupid list because despite all evidence to the contrary I tried it again with the TV stand. I put down the size of the table, gave a brief physical description, even remembered to say no pic, but do you think that would do? Of course not.

So, here I am rambling, and if this was the only problem in my life, I would be grateful right. I mean the garbage man isn't so picky. But no, I seem to be dealing with other rude people in a different matter.

I've spent the past several years hanging out with New York Outrigger Canoe Club. Even though I can't afford to join and I'm not allowed to paddle without joining, I've maintained my friendships and have spent a good portion of time trying to do good by them. Right now they are working on getting corporate sponsors for our big annual race, the Liberty World Challenge. They don't get it either.

They keep treating these corporate donations like little kids at Christmas. It seems impossible to get them to understand that these little "donations" aren't really donations at all but business deals.

No comments: