Monday, June 16, 2008

Diner Party

I love to cook. I love to cook for friends and I have a hard time cooking for one. So now that my friend Emma is leaving us for foggier pastures (she's moving back to the UK) I have an excuse to throw a dinner party (sniff, good bye Emma).

Anyway, I love my menu. Just the right combo of vegitarian/omnivore, healthy/cardiac mix for the menu. Can I just brag a little bit....

Appetizers: Guacamole & Chips, Stuffed Dates - Okay, Guacamole made from scratch but the chips from Trader Joe's. The Stuffed Dates are so simple and delicious. Take the pit out of a date, fill it with cream cheese and then stuff a nut in it (perferably walnut, pecan or almond). It tastes better than it sounds.

Dinner: Empanadas Argetinas, Portabello Cheeseburgers, Roasted Carrots & Potatoes, Sesame Sugar Snap Peas, Guava Ketchup - Talk about all over the place, but such yummy simple foods. The most complicated are the empanadas. After being disappointed ordering them from a restaurant (Argentinians do not put tomatoe in their empanadas) I decided to make them myself (okay, so I bought the dough disks, but the insides are what count). How is it that so many people manage to ruin a dish with exactly 4 ingredients. Ground meat (I use turkey), sauteed onions, Yellow raisins (black raisins just don't taste the same, but i've been known to use them in a pinch) and a green olive (the pimento ones in a jar. I tried to substitute the fancy ones, but it didn't work). Okay, so if your a true purist your supposed to include a wedge of hard boiled egg, but I hate hard boiled eggs so I leave it out.

Dessert: Ghiradelli Brownies and fresh Strawberries with Eggcreams (which have no egg and no cream). How would one say goodbye to NY without an Eggcream toast.

No comments: